segunda-feira, 11 de maio de 2009

TrueCrypt - Easy and free encryption tool


Today I decided to get a digital copy of all my work related contracts, receipts, everything. I wanted to store everything as a backup online... but as you can imagine, this kind of sensitive information is something I don't want going around the web unprotected.

So I used the open source tool TrueCrypt. It's a very easy to use tool that you can use it in several ways. I chose the easiest one:
- create a file used to store my data, define a password and the encoding to
use (most are 256 bit encoding, and you can choose up to 3 sequential 256 bit encodings, each with its own password... that's kind of unbreakable!)
- mount the file, and you'll get a volume, like an extra hard-drive. Anything you drag here will be encrypted and stored in that first file you created.

And that's it. I now have a folder on my Dropbox used to store my data securely. I have some friends that are security freaks... I am not one of those, but I also don't like to make it easy on hackers. AND when it is work related information, it is your responsibility to keep it safe.

PS: also available for Linux systems ;)

Nenhum comentário: