sexta-feira, 31 de julho de 2009

Onimusha, Dawn of Dreams


I had heard great things about the Onimusha games. I was looking for some game that would be at least similar to God of War. I decided to give this Onimusha, Dawn of Dreams (ODD) a chance.
It is inferior to God of War in every aspect (graphics, playability, story) but it is stil good enough to have a lot of fun. I'll do a (+) and (-) list since it's easier to read.

(+) switching between 2 character along the level
(+) the puzzles - fun, must use 2 character in different places to solve
(+) graphics - flashy... a bit oudated, but I'm sure it was top at the time
(+) japanese mythology - cherry trees, onis, genmas, omen stars
(+) a lot of boss battles (and early on... not the usual "I run away and kill you later")
(+) good concept with the controls, difficult to pull of sometimes

(-) the idiotic AI keeps getting your partner killed
(-) lack of variety, facing the same bosses over and over
(-) the level up system gets you new moves, but still doesn't feel like leveling up
(-) story has a lot of cliches and US voice acting is TERRIBLE!
(-) some battles require soooooooooo much patience

Two final notes:
- Onimusha mode is too powerful, it will destroy (almost) all the bosses in the game with no sweat.
- I HATE IT when a game lets you chose which characters to play with, and at the end throws each character into a solo boss battle... of course the least used characters will be weak, and make it almost impossible to finish the game. I knew Japanese games tend to be that way, maybe to show that every hero counts, even the weaker ones. I still hate it. You're supposed to play the game with your favorite character.

All things considered, it's a good game. Probably the 1st ever CAPCOM Playstation game I ever liked.

Nenhum comentário: