segunda-feira, 8 de junho de 2009

My Kubuntu Adventure


The name of this post is similar to a Scrubs episode. The reason... probably because it's as crazy as one.

So now that I have 2 laptops, I finally decided to have one running Linux... no dual boot shit, just plain hardcore Linux. First decision? Ubuntu or Kubuntu? Ubuntu is easier and has better support, Kubuntu is lighter and is somewhat prettier. I decided to go with Kubuntu.

Installed it, ran it... ok everything running smooth. Then... and out of the blue, the shit hit the fan!
1 - Flash in Firefox and VLC player lost their audio. -> I got it to work, it's a KDE 4 problem
2 - Amarok 2 wouldn't scrobble to Last.FM -> I got it to work, it's a 2.02 problem, added a repository and downloaded 2.1
3 - Dropbox was working? Was it? I did not know -> I got it to almost work. So apparently, Dropbox client for Ubuntu is heavily based on Nautilus and has no KDE support. BUT, the client will install itself, and run a demon in the background. Furthermore, a "dropbox" line command becomes available, to be used with "status" "start" "stop". It's as it's been said... Dropbox on Linux just works :P

So these are the crazy times this laptop has been living lately. The goal is to have a laptop @ home running Kubuntu and able to do everything I did with Vista... it'll take some time, but it seems possible.

Nenhum comentário: