domingo, 27 de dezembro de 2009

Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C. Clarke


"This novel won both the Hugo and Nebula awards upon its release, and is widely regarded as one of the cornerstones in Clarke's bibliography. It is considered a science fiction classic, and is particularly seen as a key hard science fiction text."
This was taken from Wikipedia. In case you don't know, Hugo and Nebula awards are the top sci-fi awards. I have never read a book that won any of them and been disappointed. So, a book that won them both? :) Furthermore, hard science fiction is the sci-fi based on heavy scientific facts and notions... it's not totally true or it would be science :P but the basis is scientific knowledge taken for granted at the time the book is being written.

I started reading it expecting a brilliant book, and it was exactly what I got! Rama is an alien puzzle that a group of Humans try to figure... the ideas behind the book are really something! And it seems plausible, probably due to it being a hard science fiction book. Most of the times you'll be reading it and thinking "yeah that would be what I would probably do" or "If I was an experienced leader of an expedition, that would be my course of action!".
It's a small book (pocket edition was 200 pages with a relatively big font), but filled with concepts, science and "what if" that'll make you wonder and think outside the box.

It's books like this that keep making me come back to Sci-Fi... I'm not a poetic person, but like every single person on earth, have mused about my existence. Sci-Fi books keep making me think "what if life was different in this or that way", and this one is a must!

Nenhum comentário: