segunda-feira, 8 de fevereiro de 2010

Getting Things Done - David Allen


My new job implies having a lot of different tasks being processed and a million more floating around and just waiting to happen and disrupt any kind of system I've been trying to setup. I was feeling kind of overwhelmed but decided that the problem was the system I was using and not anything particular about the job itself.

My old job in development was less prone to emergency handling, as the work flow was linear most of the time and urgency was not that much of an issue, as the client was still very far away from our actual work. Nowadays, my job has what I can describe as a state of "everlasting priority change". But in the end, things still need to get done.
I tried a priority system: I defined tasks, assigned priorities, and then dealt with the list from top to bottom. The problem started when I began defining tasks as "urgent", "urgenter", "urgentererer".

Solution: instead of re-inventing the wheel, check out the GTD book by David Allen that I had heard so much about.

I can't explain the book on a single post, but the basic idea about the book is: "If you have "stuff" you need to do on your mind, you won't work efficiently... so create a pipeline for that "stuff" that'll make you process them effortlessly." It doesn't make the work easier, it simply makes you feel in control of what you are doing.

I've been giving it a go for a week, and it has been working for me. Some discipline is required, but if you feel you need to read this book, you are probably committed enough to make it work. If in 3 months time it has proven to be a success, I'll post the "infrastructure" I used to get it going (SW and HW used).

I recommend this book for people that are getting the "overwhelmed" feeling at work or in their lives. When too much is happening, having a clear process on how to deal with it and how to go about getting it completed is a great stress reliever :)

Nenhum comentário: